Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I wonder if I could do this?

Somehow I stumbled across one of the most interesting websites I've ever see. A man by the name of Colin Beavan and his family decided to try living one year without leaving any negative impact on the environment. They ate only local food, used no electricity, and made no garbage all in the middle of NYC! I have spent the past few days pouring over the website, reading as many excerpts from the book as possible and wondering how many of these things I could possibly do.

Almost a challange if you will...

Could I go without using our HVAC unit for a year? Probably so... we rarely used it before our daughter was born and now only use it to keep her comfortable. Hopefully next year we can be a little more better at this.

Could I eat only locally grown things for a year? I'm not sure about this one. My husband will not eat anything that grows. We did a huge garden last year and he didn't eat one thing from it. While I could completely beef up my local eating I'm not sure I could depend on it entirely.

Could I go without electricity for a year? Maybe. I believe I could cut almost all electricity out of the picture. I don't think it would be hard to reprogram ourselves to go to bed and wake up with the sun. We have lots of windows in our house so lights would not be a problem. Refrigerator and washing machine however would.

I know it sounds crazy but I would love to see how much of his experiment I could do....now how to get my husband on board? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment