Saturday, February 13, 2010

Completely unprepared yet having a wonderful time


Last week I posted about an emergency bag I had started preparing in case of a small emergency: loss of power, various weather warnings etc.... This weekend I realized just how behind I was.

Where I live in the south we rarely get a snow dusting each year. When the weatherman called for one to two inches of snow on Friday I didn't give it another thought. Maybe I should have been listening to the weather more frequently or maybe I should have made a run to the grocery store just in case.... but whatever the reason why we were caught drastically unprepared for the snow that arrived on Friday.

Some things I learned must be kept around the house (and probably in the emergency bag just so I know where they are):

-Infant Tylenol - Wouldn't ya know that my little girl came down with a teething fever as soon as the first snow flake fell. We used up the last of her tylenol then and luckily the fever stayed away until we were able to make it to the store to get some more

- Black Eyed Peas - This is one of the only thing that my little one will eat. Saturday is my normal grocery shopping day and at this point we were out of everything that she would eat. We had no Cheerios, Goldfish, Black Eyed Peas, Yogurt, or Applesauce. So until we could make it to the store she ate cheese :)

- Milk - I know this one can't be kept in the bag, but it might be a good idea not to run so low on milk. We go through 2 gallons a week so it might be better from now on to make sure that we have at least 1/2 a gallon on hand. I have heard that in a pinch you can use equal parts of evaporated milk and water to make whole milk, but I would rather not find out if it works.

Thank goodness that the snow melted just as fast as it accumulated and by Saturday my husband was able to make a store run for the above items as well as a movie.

Despite not being prepared we had a wonderful weekend.

We spent the time teaching our little one to jump on the bed: something I'm sure we will regret later, but thought was oh so cute at the time. My husband and I had a valentine's lunch at one of our favorite restaurants before the snow came in and we cleaned the entire house top to bottom :0)

Hopefully we can have a repeat of the weekend tomorrow as the weather man is calling for one to two inches of snow overnight... this time we are prepared :)


No comments:

Post a Comment